Since July 2010, I am doing research at the Computing Laboratory at the University of Oxford. Information about my research and teaching, contact details, and further relevant data can be found below.
My research is focussed on information systems and (semantic) Web technologies, ranging from foundational studies in knowledge representation and reasoning to implementations of deployable systems (including the one that runs this site)
- Lecture «Semantic Web Technologies I» at AIFB Karlsruhe:
- Lecture «Intelligente Systeme im World Wide Web» («Intelligent Systems on the WWW») at AIFB Karlsruhe
- Seminar «Knowledge Representation and Reasoning for the Semantic Web» at TU Dresden in Winter 2005/06 (together with Pascal Hitzler)
- Lead developer of Semantic MediaWiki
- Member of the new W3C Web Ontology Language (OWL) working group
- Former member of W3C Rule Interchange Format (RIF) working group
- Maintainer of semanticweb.org, the Semantic Web community portal
Reviewing and committee memberships
I have been reviewing (on programme committees or individual requests) for the following journals:
- Journal of Artificial Intelligence Research
- Journal of Web Semantics
- Journal of Automated Reasoning
- Journal of Symbolic Computation, reviewer for special issue on Automated Deduction: Decidability, Complexity, Tractability, 2008
- International Journal of Computer Mathematics, 2008
- Journal of Universal Computer Science, PC member of special issue on Ontologies and their Applications, JUCS 13(12), 2007
- Semantic Web Journal
I serve or have served as a programme committee member of the following events:
- KR 2014, the 14th International Conference on Principles of Knowledge Representation and Reasoning
- ISWC 2014, the 13th International Semantic Web Conference
- ESWC 2014, the 11th European Semantic Web Conference
- DL 2014, the 27th International Workshop on Description Logics, Vienna, Austria, July 17 – 20 2014
- IJCAI 2013, the 23rd International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence
Organised events and tutorials
- Course «Ontology Modelling Languages» as ESSLLI 2009, the 21st European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information (ESSLLI 2009), Bordeaux, July 20 – 31, 2009
- Tutorial «Semantic Web Modelling Languages» at IJCAI 2009, the 21st International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Passadena, Juli 11 – 17, 2009
- Tutorial «OWL 2 Rules» at ESWC 2009, the 6th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2009), Heraklion, May 31 – June 4, 2009
- OWLED 2008 (EU), the 5th International Workshop on OWL: Experiences and Directions, Karlsruhe, Germany, Oct 26 – 27 2008, local organisation.
- SWKM 2008, the 2008 Workshop on Social Web and Knowledge Management at WWW 2008, Bejing, China, April 22nd, 2008.
- Tutorial «Practical Reasoning with OWL and DL-Safe Rules» at ESWC 2006, the 3rd European Semantic Web Conference.
See also the talk section in publications.
- Speaker at Reasoning Web Summer School 2007 on «Reasoning in Semantic Wikis»
- Invited talk at the Semantic Web Technology Showcase 2007, Vienna, Austria (colocated with ESTC2007, the first European Semantic Technology Conference) on «Practical Reasoning with OWL and Rules»
- Born on May 6th 1981 in Rodewisch, Germany
- Married, no children
- Contact data
- Since July 2010: Postdoctoral researcher at Oxford University Computing Laboratory
- Mar 2010–Jun 2010: Postdoctoral researcher at AIFB, Karlsruhe Instititue of Technology
- Mar 2005–Feb 2010: PhD student and research assistant in Prof. Rudi Studer's group at Institute AIFB of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology KIT (formerly Karlsruhe University)
- Feb 2005: Master of Science in Computational Logic, degree 1.0 (supervised by Dr. habil. Pascal Hitzler TUD, Prof. Steffen Hölldobler TUD, Prof. Guo-Qiang Zhang CWRU)
- Jun–Aug 2004: visit at CWRU Cleveland
- 2003–2005: Study of Computational Logic at the ICCL of TU Dresden
- 2000–2003: Study of Computer Science at Technische Universität Dresden
- 1999: Abitur, Grade 1.1 (with distinction)
- 1991–1999: High school Goethe Gymnasium Auerbach
Jobs and civil service
- 2002–2003: student assistant in Prof. Michael Thielscher's Computational Logic Group, topic area cognitive robotics
- 2001–2005: various occupations as student tutor for courses Logic I and Logic II at TU Dresden
- 2001–2002: software developer at Signsoft GmbH, Dresden (3D visualisation, OO API development)
- 1999–2000: Civil service at hospital Vogtlandklinikum Rodewisch
Grants and awards
- do it.software-award 2007: third price of the 2007 do it software awards for Semantic MediaWiki (with Denny Vrandecic, York Sure, Rudi Studer)
- Georg-Helm-Preis 2005: best Master's thesis in 2005; yearly award given to two or three graduates (Master's/PhD) of TU Dresden
- DAAD grant «Kurzfristige Studienaufenthalte zur Anfertigung einer Masterarbeit»: thesis research exchange grant of the German Academic Exchange Service, hosted by CWRU Cleveland
- Bestes Vordiplom 2002: award for best Computer Science pre-degree at TU Dresden (best grade point average)
Many occasions require a brief personal description. Here is a typical example of what I might use:
Markus Krötzsch is a postdoctoral researcher at the Oxford University Computing Laboratory. He completed his PhD studies at the Institute of Applied Informatics and Formal Description Methods (AIFB) of the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT) in 2010. His research is focused on knowledge representation and information processing, related applications like the Semantic Web, and relevant algorithmic and logical foundations. He also is the lead developer of the successful Semantic Web application platform Semantic MediaWiki, co-editor of the W3C OWL 2 specification, chief maintainer of the semanticweb.org community portal, and co-author of the textbook Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies.
- Email: email@example.com
- I receive many emails. Some might be overlooked or lost. Feel free to re-send your unanswered message.
- Random requests for software support or other consultations will usually be ignored, unless I have some concrete personal commitment or research interest.
- Skype: kroetzsch (only for people I know personally)
- Yes, I have accounts at LinkedIn, Facebook, and XING – though there is also some truth in this rant
Markus Kroetzsch Wolfson Building Parks Road Oxford OX1 3QD United Kingdom