Teaching and mentoring are important parts of academic research. Educating students is a part of this, but there are many other opportunities to share knowledge. In a sense, the purpose of all scientific communication is teaching (why else would we publish?). This page, however, is about teaching activities of an introductory nature: lectures, tutorials, textbooks and the like. More general information is found on my personal page.
Teaching materials and introductory texts
Each of the below texts mainly aims at introducing readers to a new topic, without requiring (much) preliminary knowledge. The topic (and language) should be obvious from the title in each case. Slides are not included here but can be found below and (esp. for invited talks) in the publication list.
- OWL 2 Profiles (2012)
- Growing Open Source Communities Around Academic Projects (2012)
- A Description Logic Primer (2012)
- Logik und Logikprogrammierung: Aufgaben und Lösungen (2011)
- OWL 2 Web Ontology Language Primer (27 October 2009)
- Foundations of Semantic Web Technologies (2009)
- A Brief Introduction to FCA (2009)
- Semantic Web – Grundlagen (2008)
Tutorials and Summer School Lectures
Materials can be found by following the links. For further teaching materials and slide sets, see semantic-web-book.org.
- Lecture Rule-Based Reasoning in Lightweight Ontology Languages at ICCL Summer School 2013, Dresden
- Lecture OWL 2 Profiles: An Introduction to Lightweight Ontology Languages at Reasoning Web Summer School 2012, Vienna
- Course «Ontology Modelling Languages» at ESSLLI 2009, the 21st European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information (ESSLLI 2009), Bordeaux, July 20 – 31, 2009
- Tutorial «Semantic Web Modelling Languages» at IJCAI 2009, the 21st International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Passadena, Juli 11 – 17, 2009
- Tutorial «OWL 2 Rules» at ESWC 2009, the 6th European Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2009), Heraklion, May 31 – June 4, 2009
- Tutorial «Practical Reasoning with OWL and DL-Safe Rules» at ESWC 2006, the 3rd European Semantic Web Conference.
Below is an overview of my university teaching activities. For further teaching materials and slide sets, see semantic-web-book.org.
- Lecture «Complexity Theory» at University of Oxford:
- Lecture «Knowledge Representation and Reasoning» at University of Oxford:
- Lecture «Semantic Web Technologies I» at AIFB Karlsruhe:
- Lecture «Intelligente Systeme im World Wide Web» («Intelligent Systems on the WWW») at AIFB Karlsruhe
- Seminar «Knowledge Representation and Reasoning for the Semantic Web» at TU Dresden in Winter 2005/06 (together with Pascal Hitzler)